I like this little space in Spain. A small little 1 bedroom apartment that is 570 square feet at most…but made to feel open and airy…light and bright.
Here are 5 things you can do to make your small space feel big:
1. Light colored furniture and accessories – the white sofa, lacquered white would pieces and light color rugs, help make the space feel bigger than it is.
2. Clear things – Go clear. If in a small space, strategically pick a few furniture items to go clear. Lucite or glass pieces mean an unobstructed view of a small space. See the coffee table in this living room (above) but there are a million lucite or glass pieces like chairs, dining tables, side tables and more in the marketplace today.
3. Sheer window coverings and large windows – The more light you let into your small space the better…bring the outdoors in by using shades that let a bit of natural light shine through.
4. Use interior sliding, pocket or barn doors – Don’t let a regular door take up space. When you can trade out a regular door for a sliding door. This means they’ll be less square footage taken up for the door to open and close and more footage for furniture and open spaces.
5. White walls with a feature wall here or there – Not ground breaking but true…light walls make a small space feel larger. So paint all walls white (and I like bright white…not off white or beige) and then take one small wall in a bedroom (as seen below) or living space and use wallpaper or paint to add a burst of color or texture to a room.
In this small apartment, an open living plan was used for the kitchen, dining and living area. Normally I’m not a fan of open living rooms but this one definitely works.
What do you think of this small apartment? Could you live in the space? What tricks do you have for making a small room in your house just feel a tiny bit bigger? Do share! I love reading your comments.
P.S. Please go to COCOCOZY Twitter to see some new colorways I am adding to the COCOCOZY textiles collection for the New York Gift Fair in about two weeks. Am also adding cotton pillows!!!
Photo: Mi Casa Revista