THIS OR THAT: WOOD PANELED ROOMS!

Modern family room with dueling white armchairs, a long dark ottoman being used as a coffee table, black book shelves and light wood paneling concealing a television
Room #1 – Light colored wood paneling conceals a television in a modern family room.(above)

So when I used to think of wood paneled rooms…I thought of a stodgy library in an English country side home.  A dark place with lots of books and leather club chairs.  This wood paneled room that I imagined was also a place where men smoked cigars, took care of the estate’s affairs and held private manly meetings.

Well now, in the real world and today, I think of wood paneled rooms very differently.  Love the modern take on using wood.  I like it.  Wood can warm up a room but the room doesn’t have to be dark, stodgy, or cigar smoke filled at all.

Here are 5 wood paneled rooms.  I want to know if any of these appeal to you!

A dining room in a European ski chalet with rustic wood boards on the wall, rustic wood floor, bench style seats around a wood table with red and brown blankets and pillows
Room #2 – A dining room in a European ski chalet with rustic wood boards on the walls. (above)

A sleek eclectic den with large wood panels applied to wall, a grey sofa with three accent pillows, a grey armchair, a large patterned area rug on a wood floor, a wood coffee table divided into four sections with woven ottomans under each section, encasement windows with floor length cream curtains
Room #3 – A sleek eclectic den with large wood panels applied to walls. (above)

Cozy bedroom with knotty light colored wood paneled walls with a large piece of modern art depicting three fish in a fishbowl
Room #4 – Knotty light colored wood paneled walls in a cozy bedroom. (above)

Dining room with grey stained wood walls, a wire chandelier, four carved wood chairs, a farmhouse style wood table and black and gold poka dot banquette seating
Room #5 – Grey stained wood walls in a dining room area with a built in banquette seating.  (above)

So which one of these wood rooms appeals to you the most?  I think I like #1, #2, #3 the most in that order.  I want to hear what you think.  Do you even like the idea of a wood paneled room?  Do you have one in your house…if so, what is it like?

Happy Friday!

Photos: Mali Azima; Cote Maison; Ali Schwartz; Tracery Interiors; Phoebe Howard

Comments

One of my pet peeves in a tv room set up in such a way that most of the chairs are not facing the television (and are not on a swivel). In the case of your first picture, even the couch is too far away from the TV. It looks like a set piece, not an actual room for living.

I'm not a huge fan. All of the upstairs rooms in our home have them and I find them a bit too "country" for my taste…I love them in the second picture – a ski chalet – but I think that's where they should remain! I guess it's because we live so close to the Alps – I can see them from Munich on a clear day – so everyone here loves them…but it's definitely not my

#1 hands down. Wood paneling needs matching wood moldings and architraves. Definitely makes a room much more classic and elegant. And giving it a contemporary twist by concealing a flatscreen is brilliant. I so wish I had the money for it in my own house!<br /><br />PS – Congrats on the Katy Perry following! X

Nice post!!!<br />They ALL appeal to me. Those chairs in the last picture are amazing. I want them! <br />My favorite room overall is the first one, although I would change the picture up on the back wall…<br />–Valerie

Love #3 and #1. We have similar paneling in our living room (plus a giant stone fireplace), and I&#39;ve been trying to visualize the styling in anything other than country. These have given me some great ideas!

I really love these wood panel rooms! I especially like how fresh the ash-colored walls are. They brighten the room instead of making it darker (which is what I always think of when I think of wood panelling). <br /><br />Thanks for posting!<br /><br />http://blog.purehome.com/

Wow, the paneling in #5 looks EXACTLY like my living room! I am renting which means I cannot change it. So, I&#39;ve been trying to figure out how to decorate around it. This gives me great ideas, and also makes me feel better knowing that I can make it work :)

I&#39;m looking for ideas to cover the double sided brick fireplace in the center of our home. We have vaulted ceilings and dark wood beams. Thanks for the inspiration!